Friday, September 24, 2010

Change

Even though I am still in the education business, I am no longer in the classroom setting.  I miss the thrill of teaching.  A great deal has changed since I left the classroom almost 10 years ago.  Most of the changes have been in the area of technology.  I remember signing up for a campus extra job just because the perk would be a classroom computer.  At the time, it was very rare to have a computer in the classroom.  I knew nothing about the "job" but I wanted that computer.
Just the other day I was in a third grade classroom and the students were working on keyboarding skills.  I thought to myself that my first experience with "home keys" was in high school.  I recall typing to the music!
The times have changed for the students of today.  The students for today are "digital learners."   The possibilities are almost endless for the education setting.  Things that we once dreamed of are right there in the hands of young learners.  I would hope that if I had the opportunity to teach again that I would embrace the digital learner. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to memories of learning to type many years ago, typing "to the music." I wonder how so many people manage computer technology today who did not have typing or keyboarding. I guess they get pretty proficient with their own versions of "hunt and peck," but aren't we glad for ye olde Typing Class!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I also remember typing to the music. I remember the correction key really well too :) You would have to backspace just right and hit the correction key to type the white out over my mistakes and then backspace again to type the corrected letter over the white out. AWWWW, those were the days. You are right though, it is so much easier for the students of today. They really do have the world at their finger tips :)

    ReplyDelete